Friday 23 March 2012

Saved by Cake Challenge - March


I have decided to challenge myself to bake a different cake/biscuit from Marian Keyes' book, Saved By Cake, each month, between March and December. I am a beginner at baking and use the same recipes over and over again so it'll be nice to try something new. I will take photos and post them on here each month - the good, the bad and the ugly.


Rock Cakes


First up for my challenge was rock cakes. I chose these because I have never made them before. I've never even tasted a rock cake before because they contain sultanas, which I don't like. Generally, I'm not a fan of dried fruit. Unless they're raisins, covered in chocolate and then they can pop themselves into my mouth until I'm sick.

Bearing this in mind, I was a bit cheeky and replaced the sultanas with glace cherries, which I love. I was wondering how many cherries it would take to make me feel sick. I'm not anymore. It was two. Two.

Waiting to go into the
oven

Apart from the cherries, I followed the recipe exactly. The recipe was very easy to follow, even for a beginner like me and they turned out really well. I don't know what they're supposed to taste like, having never eaten one before, but I enjoyed them and nobody else complained. The batch didn't last very long so I think the result was a thumbs up.

The rock cakes were very easy to make so I think I will be making some again very soon.

Out of the oven and yummy

For more Saved by Cake Challenges click here

8 comments:

  1. What a cool idea! I love baking, so I am going to enjoy watching your progress! It's such a shame you can't share samples though LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending samples through the Internet would be ace. Maybe one day...

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were yummy and easy to make. So much so, I made some more yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great challenge! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Talli. I've picked some easy looking recipes but some are more challenging. I dread to think what my Millionaires Shortbread will look/taste like!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They look really good! Can't wait to see your next cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Vicky. It's been fun pushing myself to try something different. Eating the results is good too.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave a comment. I appreciate them all. Apart from spam, obviously.